Monday 15 April 2013

Book Review - Wonder by R.J Palacio

This book tells the story if August Pullman, a boy born with a terrible facial disfigurement that leaves him open to all kinds of bullying and abuse. We learn of his first year at school, in 5th grade, after being home schooled. The story explains how he deals with people's reaction to his face, and how it affects others around him. I think it is a wonderful book, because it opened my eyes to a kind of prejudice that I wasn't even aware I was showing. I had never thought from point of view of someone who had this disfigurement, and I was really ashamed of the way I sometimes behave in front of people who are different. The book is written through many different people's eyes, and we can see that August's face doesn't just affect him. A lovely metaphor in the book describes how August is the sun, and all his family and few friends merely planets orbiting him. It is interesting to see his sisters view. She loves him, but envies his parental attention as well. I feel I can relate to this.

I would recommend this book as a truly humbling read. It made me think of what I perceive as being unkind, and what other people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment